Tuesday, May 5, 2015

It Seems So Surreal


Everything went by so fast. Only ten hours after I woke up, I  can hardly remember the intricate details of what I did today. Anyway, this morning, it was the first time on an airplane that I can actively recall. I'll admit, I was a bit anxious boarding the plane. Every slight twist and turn caused me to prepare for the worst in my cramped economy seat. Other than that, it has been a smooth sail. I met my trip adviser, Ms. Tara Reineck. She's so cool! It's only 5:46 PM (as I'm writing this) but I know for sure that I am going to have a good experience here. The school looks much better than it does on the website. Talking about culture shock , the school is in the woods and there is not a tall building in sight. There is so much diversity. And the Dayal House, the student residential dorm, is full of awesome international students from Asia! I can't say much about the classes yet since I abstained from them for a tour of the school.

Being the eccentric athlete I am, of course I had to step on the basketball court. Let me say this: do not judge anyone by their physique! I had some random student, who looked like he hadn't touched a basketball, rain three-pointers on me like he was Stephen Curry. Then, I proceeded to get blown out by a basketball player 8-1. But it's all about having fun, right guys..? Then came track practice. Since did a hard workout yesterday, I made the mistake of even attempting to complete the hard workout the Maumee Hawks were trying to do. On that note, I can't compete for the Hawks due to Ohio's stringent laws on transfers.

Breakfast at 8:15, lunch at 11:15, and dinner at 6. Wait..what? Yes, you heard me, lunch is at that time. It's gonna feel like I'm in first grade again, but I guess it won't be so bad. I had dinner tonight, but I didn't know what it was. But I'm not picky so to say....so I dug in. A bit bland, but something completely new.

I haven't shared a room with anyone for a prolonged period of time since I was eight years old. But luckily, my roommate Richard  is cool. Sometimes I know what he's saying. but sometimes I don't. I just nod my head and say ' yeah man', He is Chinese and he loves building robots. It's his first time having a roommate. He was more nervous than a boy talking to his first crush. Funny story, the first thing Richard said to me was his explanation that a common word in his language,"Na Ge"(那个) ( meaning that/that one)  sounds like the N-word. I couldn't contain my laughter. Is this the first thing people think? I love Richard already, such a funny character.

I can't wait for the adventures I'm going to have during these 20 days. My following posts will have much more substance. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Andrew, I knew you'd have a great time. Thanks in advance for blogging every day so we can share the experience with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew, Welcome to MV and Toledo! I’m a grad and your St. B’s Assistant Headmaster, Mike Scanlan, is a close friend. I’m very much eager to hear all about the boarding experience as it was only a private day school when I attended back in the “dark ages.” All the very best to you as you will find that like St. Benedict’s, Maumee Valley Country Day is a very special place. And DO go easy on Gary Boehm…but not TOO easy! -- EB

    ReplyDelete